Internet Explorer
Microsoft .NET
The Server
Technical Support

Sponsored Links

User Groups : Forums : SiteExperts : Microsoft .NET :

Previous DiscussionNext Discussion
 Book Opinions?
Hey everyone! General book question, here...

I know there are resources on the web to learn just about anything, but I'm considering buying some books on Silverlight, LINQ, and Microsoft AJAX (different implementation, of course).

I'm currently using VB.NET and VS 2005 at work. I downloaded VS 2K8 Express Edition at home, so I can expand my skillset, and I'm looking for some good book suggestions.

So, do you have any good advice on how to select a book? I mean, I know Amazon has reviews, but I don't know how much credence to put in them.

I really only want to buy one of each (one Silverlight, one AJAX, and one LINQ), and I'm definitely going to buy them all in C# (that's the way things are pretty much heading now anyway).

Any advice?

Started By Monte on Jan 5, 2009 at 7:45:05 AM

12 Response(s) | Reply

View All Replies | Goto Page: 2 1
brian on Jan 5, 2009 at 9:40:59 AM

I picked up Silverlight 2 Unleashed just before Christmas and from what I've seen it is pretty good - the code, screenshots and keywords are in colour and is very reasonably priced, ISBN 0672330148 I think I paid about 20 pounds sterling for it new from Amazon, RRP is 32.

LINQ - not bothered with it yet.

AJAX: with about 2 days work my team (me and one other guy) converted an app to use AJAX with little or no serious issues without any books. It is fairly easy to follow and if you look at the samples on the www.asp.net site, you'll see you don't need a book for most things - I am sure there are complications in there somewhere but for what I am using it for I never needed anything more than the docs and help...we also had the complication of not using .NET 3.5 so you have to install the libraries and convert the web.config to have the correct references and so on. Anyway, I suspect the ASP.NET 3.5 Unleashed will probably cover AJAX - the unleashed books are generally useful.

View All Replies | Goto Page: 2 1

To respond to a discussion, you must first logon.

If you are not registered, please register yourself to become a member of the SiteExperts.community.

User Name
Password
Copyright 1997-2000 InsideDHTML.com, LLC. All rights reserved.