The Wireless Internet
Internet Explorer
Microsoft .NET
The Server
Technical Support

Sponsored Links

User Groups : Forums : SiteExperts : The Wireless Internet :

Previous DiscussionNext Discussion
 i want waireless broadband what should i get?

ok well erm...... the heading is a bit missleading lol, i already have wireless broadband but its rubbish, i have a netgear range max wireless router, its a dg834pn and on there website it tells you about how amazing it is and how it goes for 50meters or something, well it dont and they lie, so im kinda anoyed and i want good wireless broadband connection, the only problem is that the room that my computer is in is an extension to my house and the walls are 22" thick, i think they may only be breeze blocks i duno lol, but in the main part of the house the walls are still kinda 20" thick, i no thats thick but i live in a house in the countryside. My house is slightly large, but my bedroom is only about 20meters away from the router and this netgear thing says it works good in a 20meter distance.

so im going to stop woffeling and try and get to the point, i would like to have wireless broadband in my house i have internet with aol, which i think means i have a adsl connection and i need a wireless router that has a modem built in because i have a usb modem.

So i want a a wireless router that will give me good/excellent connection around most of my house, well at least to my room, but im guessing it wil need to have a strong range because it has to get through one 22" wall and about two 20" walls plus a floor, because my room is on the second floor.

this is most probably impossible, but i was thinking maybe i could get a router that is prehapps used in big offices or really large homes.

do any of you have homes with 22" thick walls and are getting good internet connection throught them. if you do could you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me

oh and i just thought of another slight problem i am going to be using it with a mac powerbook so i dont no if the router would need to be compatable with that even thought it will never be plugged into it because it will most likely always be plugged into my windows xp based desktop pc.

i hope this is not to confusing and i hope i have not made to many mistakes and stuff, also i appologise for maybe not using the correct english but im dyslexic and thats my excuse lol

well i do hope someone can help me

Thank you x

Started By helsby1988 on Dec 20, 2005 at 7:28:29 AM

5 Response(s) | Reply

Earlier Replies | Replies 1 to 5 of 5 | Later Replies
bod1467 on Dec 20, 2005 at 7:52:05 AM (# 0)

This isn't exactly anything to do with serving web pages to wireless internet devices, is it. ;-)

I think you're "on to plums" (to use an expression). You coul look maybe at pre-n wireless devices that claim to have exceptional operational distances (in free space). But looking at the Netgear part you quoted than that looks like what you have already tried. Alternatively try the Belkin equivalent?

Ultimately you're going to have problems with wifi networks in such a property.

BikeRepairman on Dec 20, 2005 at 10:57:45 PM (# 1)

Are the walls where the signal has to travel through reinforced with steels bars?
What kind of pipes run through the walls? (electricity, water, gas)

In any case you need a device with a strong transmitter (at least 200mW) I think you can better use a modem/router and a separate wifi accesspooint. (if the accesspoint turns out to be too weak, simply replace it (or swap it, depending on the willingness of the strore you buy it).

bod1467 on Dec 21, 2005 at 12:55:14 AM (# 2)

Or ... use empty Pringles can as point source transmitter and receiver. ;-)

bod1467 on Dec 21, 2005 at 12:57:12 AM (# 3)

Bod-effect fix?

ja928 on Dec 22, 2005 at 7:53:48 AM (# 4)

A friend of mine recommends Linksys's SRX.  While he does not have 22" walls, he said it did make several previously unseen wireless networks visible to him.

Jockrock on Dec 23, 2005 at 2:38:10 AM (# 5)

I use a D-Link DI 624 and I can see 3 neighbours' networks none of which are secured.

Earlier Replies | Replies 1 to 5 of 5 | Later Replies

To respond to a discussion, you must first logon.

If you are not registered, please register yourself to become a member of the SiteExperts.community.

User Name
Password
Copyright 1997-2004 InsideDHTML.com, LLC. All rights reserved.